DIABETIC MISCONCEPTIONS




What are some common diabetic misconceptions?
"I do not believe high blood sugar can affect my vision. I need new glasses" -- diabetes and high blood sugar can indeed affect your vision and have many other negative effects on the body.

"My doctor talks about blood sugar control, but I find the easy thing to do is to add a few more units of insulin after an ice cream cone" -- blood sugar control starts with controlling sugar intake, not treating it once it is already in your body.

"I love sugar free donuts. I treat myself to 3 each morning" -- something advertised as sugar free does not necessarily make it better or okay to over-indulge.


It is important for the nurse to remember when educating the diabetic patient that misconceptions like the ones discussed should be addressed. It is not uncommon for a person with limited knowledge of an illness to have a different point of view about the correct way to manage illness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELPFUL INFORMATION ABOUT AN AORTIC ABDOMINAL ANEURYSM

CARDIOGENIC SHOCK - QUIZ QUESTIONS

CHEST PAIN ASSESSMENT AND EKG - QUIZ